I have been on faculty in the Division of Biostatistics, Department of Preventive Medicine, at USC since December 1997. My primary research interest is in the development of statistical modeling techniques for correlated (single or multiple) outcomes and their applications to a diverse set of sustantive areas including examination of effects of (i) air pollution and other environmental factors on children's respiratory and cardiovascular health, and (ii) the built environment on development of childhood obesity. My interest in global health focuses on health effects of indoor/oudoor air pollution, occupational exposures and climate change. Since 2014, I have also been director of our graduate programs in biostatistics and epidemiology.
- B.Sc. (Statistics and Mathematics), Addis Ababa University, Ethiopia, 1986
- M.Sc. (Statistics), University of Guelph, Canada, 1991
- Ph.D. (Biostatistics), University of Toronto, Canada, 1994
- Post Doctoral Fellow (Biostatistics), Johns Hopkins University, USA 1994/95
Recent Honors and Awards
Recent Panel/Committee Memberships
- Member, Health Effects Institute (HEI) Review Committee [2017- ]
- Chair, Selection Committee for Fisher Award and Lecture, Committee of Presidents of Statistical Societies (COPSS) [2016-2017]
- Member, NIH: Biostatistical Methods and Reseach Design (BMRD) Study Section [2016 - 2022]
- Member, US-Enviornmental Protection Agency Chartered Science Advisory Board [2015-2017]
- Member, Selection Committee for Fisher Award Lecture, Committee of Presidents of Statistical Societies (COPSS) [2015-2018]
- Member, NIH: Kidney, Nutrition, Obesity and Diabetes (KNOD) Study Section [2011 - 2015]
- Member, Committee to review the health effects in Vietnam veterans of exposure to herbicides (Fifth Biennial Update) , Institute of Medicine, The National Academies, Washington, DC
- Member, Committee to review the health effects in Vietnam veterans of exposure to herbicides (Fourth Biennial Update) , Institute of Medicine, The National Academies, Washington, DC
- Member, NMMAPS and Other Revised Analysis Review Panel, Health Effects Institute, Boston, MA
- Member, Science Advisory Panel, Western Interprovincial Scientific Studies Association (WISSA), Calgary, Canada (2002-2005)
- Southern California Environmental Health Sciences Center - [Director: Statistical Methods and Study Design Research Core] USC EH Blog
- Global Environmental and Occupational Health (GEOHealth) Hub for Eastern Africa - [Principal Investigator, with Jonathan Samet & Abera Kumie]
- USC Tobacco Center of Regulatory Science (TCORS) - [Co-Director: Methods Core]
- USC Institute for Global Health
- Children's Environmental Health Center
- MADRES Center
Su YC, Gauderman WJ, Berhane K, Lewinger JP. Adaptive Set-Based Methods for Association Testing. Genetic Epidemiology; 40(2):113-22, 2016.
Zhang Y, Berhane K. Dynamic Latent Trait Models with Mixed Hidden Markov Structure for Mixed Longitudinal Outcomes. Journal of Applied Statistics, 1-17, 2015.
Zhang Y, Berhane K. Bayesian Mixed Hidden Markov Model: A Multi-Level Approach to Modeling Categorical Outcomes with Differential Misclassification. Statistics in Medicine. 33(8): 1395-408, 2014.
Shen E, Chou CP, Pentz MA, Berhane K. Quantile Mediation Models: A Comparison of Methods for Assessing Mediation across the Outcome Distribution. Multivariate Behavioral Research: 49:5,471-485, 2014
Berhane K, Molitor NT. A Bayesian approach to functional based multi level modeling of longitudinal data: With applications to environmental epidemiology. Biostatistics. 9(4): 686-699, 2008
Berhane K, Hauptmann M, Langholz B. Using Tensor Product Splines in Modeling Exposure-Time-Response Relationships: With application to Colorado Plateau Uranium Miners Data. Statistics in Medicine. 27(26): 5484-5496, 2008.
Berhane K, Gauderman W, Stram D, Thomas D. Statistical issues in studies of the long-term effects of air pollution: The southern California Children’s Health Study. (with discussion) Statistical Science 19(3), 414-449; 2004.
Rondeau V, Berhane K, Thomas DC. A three-level model for binary time-series data: the effects of air pollution on school absences in the Southern California Children’s Health Study. Statistics in Medicine; 23: 1103-1115; 2004.
Berhane K, Weissfeld L. Inference in spline based models for multiple time-to-event data, with applications to a breast cancer prevention trial. Biometrics 59: 859-868, 2003.
Berhane K, Thomas DC. A two-stage model for time series data of counts from many sites. Biostatistics, Vol 3 (1); 21-32, 2002.
Gauderman WJ, Urman R, Avol E, Berhane K, McConnell R, Rappaport E, Chang R, Lurmann F, Gilliland F. Association of improved air quality with lung development in children. N Engl J Med. Mar 5;372(10):905-13, 2015
Zhang Y, Berhane K, Eckel SP, Salam MT, Linn WS, Rappaport EB, Bastain TM, Lurmann F, Gilliland FD. Determinants of Children's Exhaled Nitric Oxide: New Insights from Quantile Regression. PLOS One. 10(7), e0130505, 2015
McConnell R, Shen E, Gilliland F, Jerrett M, Wolch J, Chang R, Lurmann F, Berhane K. Childhood Tobacco Smoke and Air Pollution Exposure in a Longitudinal Cohort Study of Body Mass Index. Environmental Health Perspectives, 123(4): 360-366, 2015,
Berhane K, Zhang Y, Salam MT, Eckel SP, Linn WS, Rappaport EB, Bastain TM, Lurmann F, Gilliland FD. Longitudinal effects of air pollution on exhaled nitric oxide: the Children's Health Study. Occup Environ Med. Jul;71(7):507-13, 2014
Jerrett M, McConnell R, Wolch J, Chang R, Lam C, Dunton G, Gilliland F, Lurmann F, Berhane K. Traffic-related Air Pollution and Obesity Formation in Children: a longitudinal, multilevel analysis. Environmental Health: 13(1): 49 [Epub ahead of print] 2014.
Wu W, Muller R, Berhane K, Fruin S, Liu F, Jaspers I, Diaz-Sanchez D, Peden D, McConnell R. Inflammatory response of monocytes to ambient particles varies by highway proximity. American Journal of Respiratory Cell and Molecular Biology. 51(6): 802-9; 2014
Eckel S, Linn W, Berhane K, Rappaport E, Salam M, Zhang Y, Gilliland F. Estimation of parameters in the two-compartment model for exhaled nitric oxide PLoS One: 9(1): e85471, 2014
Breton C, Wang X, Mack WJ, Berhane K, Lopez M, Islam TS, Feng M, Lurmann F, McConnell R, Hodis HN, Kunzli N, Avol E. Childhood air pollutant exposure and Carotid Artery Intima-Media Thickness in Young Adults. Circulation 126(13):1614-1620. [Related Editorial: Childhood Exposures to Ozone The Fast Track to Cardiovascular Disease? [NIEHS Paper of the Month, November, 2012]
Berhane K, Zhang Y, Linn WS, Rappaport EB, Bastain TM, Salam MT, Islam T, Lurmann F, Gilliland FD. The Effect of Ambient Air Pollution on Exhaled Nitric Oxide in the Children's Health Study. European Respiratory Journal 37(5):1029-36, 2011.
Shankardass K, McConnell R, Jerrett M, Milam J, Richardson J, Berhane K. Stress in the family increases the effect of traffic-related pollution on childhood asthma incidence. Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences. 106: 12406-12411, 2009.
A more complete list of published work in my CV or bibliography:
Last modified (August, 2017)